Saturday, August 16, 2008

Time to straighten up

No it's not what you're thinking, I'm not going back to a heterosexual relationship...ever again.   Side note: how awesome was it when you realized that not everyone was completely miserable, and that you not doomed to a life of mediocre relationships with men, you're just a big gay!

Ok, on to the real story-I always forget about how I dress in the summer and the weekends until the other day when I was at work setting up my classroom.  Here's the scene: me in my room unpacking a box wearing a navy blue Hanes t-shirt, gray boys workout shorts (the same shirt/shorts that caused the whole I'm-not-buying-for-my-son-but-are-for-me incident at Target) blue and white boys Adidas and my hair up in a ponytail.  As my co-worker walked in my room to say hi, welcome back, etc.  she stops short and says, "Hi, how was your summ...wow, you look really...um...sporty...yeah...sporty.  Clearly, she had to stop herself from what she actually was thinking/wanted to say which reminded me that it's time to straighten up for work.  Now don't get me wrong, I love my job and I am very happy that I chose this career, but is it weird the way I change my dress for work?  I'm not talking about wearing "professional" clothes and "casual" clothes, I'm talking about how I purposely think to myself, "hmmm...this looks straight enough."  It's no secret that physically I fly under the gaydar-radar at work but I consciously think about what I wear (or don't wear) during the week.  So while it may be time for me to unwillingly straighten up for work, you can bet that I'll still Dyke-it-out at the bars/clubs. 

Speaking of bars/clubs I went to a new-to-me bar last night and it was awesome.  I mean two birthdays, a wet t-shirt contest, pretty girls...it doesn't get much better.  Anyway, is it me or are the women at gay bars way more welcoming/inviting to new people compared to straight bars?  When I meet up with my straight friends at a straight bar, if I get there first very few (if any) people come and introduce themselves, or ask if you are there alone without an agenda.  Totally different at the gay bars.  Within 5 minutes of sitting at the bar I had a conversation with a woman who introduced herself with the statement, "I haven't seen you here before, is this your first time here?" introduced me to her girlfriend and friends, invited to hang out for the evening and welcomed into the group.  Maybe it's because we all have been in that situation, or because the community here is so small, either way-even though it can be difficult at work with the judgement of others, I'm totally glad I'm gay!

No comments: