Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Mistaken for a Whore


So I went to Target (my favorite place!) to buy some new workout shorts and t-shirts because well mine have gotten gross and need to be replaced.  I'm fairly petite and have a hard time finding stuff to work out in that fits comfortably (i.e. isn't super short/tight) which usually leads me to the boys section.  I'm all about this because boy shorts are $3.99 and women's are $8.99, on a teacher's budget this is AWESOME!  I grabbed two pairs of size large cotton knee-length shorts (one gray, one navy blue) and a couple of size large plain colored cotton t-shirts...I mean they're for working out, hiking in the woods, yard work, etc. nothing that requires anything fancy.  All is going well in my favorite store until I get to the checkout line.  This lady behind me with her teenage son says nostalgically, "I remember when it was that easy to shop for him."  I respond something along the lines of, "Yeah, one benefit of being petite is really inexpensive workout gear."  Her shocked and appalled response, "OH, they're for YOU...I thought they were for your son!"  Ok, now people, I have been mistaken for many things...but NEVER have I been mistaken for someone who could have a son around age 12....being 25 it would mean that I had a kid at 13...seriously?  I get carded at places that are 18 and older....first time for everything...mistaken for a whore...who would have thought...

No comments: