Saturday, March 5, 2011

Weird Dog Behavior

I know I promised pictures of their "interesting" ideas about being President, and it's coming...as soon as I can find the cord to plug my camera into my computer.

I need some dog-people help here. B-man has been acting REALLY weird the last two weeks when we crate him before leaving for work. He shakes, hides, and has torn his bed to sh*t trying to get out. He's NEVER had a problem being crated in the past, and normally runs to his bed when we say, "Go to your bed for a treat!" Any suggestions on what would cause this dramatic change and how to fix it (leaving him uncrated is NOT a choice) would be very appreciated.

4 comments:

Jody said...

Have you cleaned out all the bedding in the crate? He might have gotten bitten by something....check to see if there is any damage in the crate too. Also wash it out, might have some bad smell connections if he did get bitten or hurt. It's awful when they get all freaked like that!

The Surprise Dyke said...

Jody-I washed everything again this morning, nothing strange on his body or bedding. It's really disturbing how upset he's getting...

Jody said...

Hmm Okay then I would try putting him in the crate when you aren't actually leaving the house (not sure if he's ever crated when you are home). See how he is. If he's fine when you hang around then maybe something random happened while you were away that scared him. I'm no dog expert (beyond owning one for 17 years) but it seems like he no longer feels "safe" in the crate. If it's nothing in the crate then it's got to be something external. Have you moved it? Is there something going on outside (roadworks) that would upset him? I expect you've asked all these questions yourself. Call his vet, might be she/he has some insight.

Unknown said...

Did he get his paw or tail stuck in the crate or anything? Is there something he doesn't like around his crate? Maybe a change in his routine that is upsetting him?