Sunday, January 30, 2011

Bringing "Tree Hugger" to a new level

It's no secret that at our house we (well mostly me) are tree huggers. We clean with vinegar and baking soda, buy organic, and make most of our food from scratch. Today I brought it to a new level. I borrowed a co-worker's crockpot and made our yogurt for the week. It was SOOO easy!!! I have to be honest, the main reason was price. We were spending between $6-8 A WEEK on yogurt-that's up to $32 a month (I know you can do the math, don't be insulted). I made enough for two weeks and it only cost me $1.50 a week-or $6 a month!!!!! I also made my granola this week-gluten free granola is CRAZY expensive. Turns out, mine is tastier and about 1/4 the price. We got a gift card at Christmas that we have been sitting on, waiting to decide what to buy...today I made the decision-crockpot. Judge me all you want, now this tree hugger has some extra cash!

3 comments:

crystal said...

recipe please!! :)

PinkElephantPrincess said...

oh wow, is there anyway you could share the recipe for the yogurt? i already have a crockpot, its a life-saver in our house! and we love yogurt, so being able to make it at home would be awsome!

beans said...

This is great! We make a lot of our own stuff as well . . .it's takes some work but it is really rewarding. Keep up the good work.