Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Frustration almost beyond words...

I miss regular food. Most of the time it's not a big deal and I've learn to adapt most recipes to make them gluten free. There is one beloved food however that has escaped this power: apple strudel. I f*cking LOVE apple strudel, so imagine my excitement when I found a recipe for a gluten free dough for strudel. For three hours I worked on the dough, following the recipe to a T, making my family recipe for the filling, and began rolling out the first of two crusts. It started to break and I added more milk (like the recipe said) and it looked a little better. I then tried to roll it again. Again it broke. I tried 4 times with each crust until giving up. All I wanted to do was make my favorite recipe for Girlfriend and co-workers. All of us have had difficult weeks (yesterday I threw a stapler across the classroom-no I will not get into it) and I wanted to do something nice. Normally the gluten free change doesn't bother me, but when I invest a bunch of money and three hours of my night only to have a *confirmed awesome recipe* flop it leaves me in tears that cannot be brushed away with rice flour....

1 comment:

Mel's Way or No Way said...

How frustrating! Sometimes regular dough will do the same for me. Maybe try chilling it a bit before rolling? Good luck.