Thursday, November 18, 2010

A cookie and a dream

It started with a cookie. Not just any cookie. A flaky, tender, melt in your mouth and leave crumbs everywhere kind of cookie. As you probably remember from the other day's baking disaster that gluten free can be way too challenging and way too overwhelming sometimes. Nevertheless I was DETERMINED to make strudel, but first I shifted my sights to something a little different, a little out of the ordinary, a little delight called rugelach. It's a regional thing so it may be unfamiliar to you depending on where you live. They were some awesome that Girlfriend ate 2 of the 18 the batch made right that night and there were none left in the morning for her to bring to work...oops. But seriously, look that them!
After my cookie success I decided to try my hand again at making strudel, this time with the rugelach dough. Was it exactly like my great-grandma use to make? No. Was it perfect? No. Was it freaking delicious and a fabulous starting point? Yes!
Here's to a satisfied me with a full Girlfriend who gets to sample my various strudels in the hopes of making gluten free happiness :-)

1 comment:

Erin said...

yummmmm. I want some!