Wednesday, April 28, 2010

4,1,7,3,6,9,2,5,8

My best friend is right in the middle of planning her wedding (in which I am the maid of honor) and my responsibility is to be her supportive friend. We were talking (well she was talking and I was kinda-sorta-not really-listening) about the stuff she has finished compared to what she has left to do. She made the comment that they still have to do the ceremony, pick the DJ and a few other things. I asked about their vows-are they going traditional or writing their own? She non-chalantly told me that "they hadn't talked about anything in the ceremony yet and that they would get to that stuff eventually." Is it me or is that totally messed up? I get that receptions and stuff take time to plan, but shouldn't your ceremony be the top priority? It's the most important part yet it tends to fall to the bottom of the list of important details. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive about this (feel free to tell me that below-I can handle it) but an actual "wedding" itself is really inexpensive. It's all the crap that people buy into as "requirements" that's insanely expensive and completely unnecessary. That is all for today, I just had to ramble on about this once again. Girlfriend has already heard my very loud version of this rant and would rather not hear it again, so for the sake of our relationship I brought my judgement here :-)

P.S. In case you didn't figure out the title-it's out of order. Like wedding priorities.

7 comments:

Taylor said...

I don't think you're being overly sensitive at all. The vows and the ceremony should take precedence over everything else. That's the most important part, why would you wait to talk about it?

crystal said...

I agree, I find wedding planning to be rather messed up most of the time! Its such a race to make it look good and keep everyone happy Im convinced that as soon as it is legal, we are eloping. That way we do not have to please anyone but the 2 of us!
Oh and thanks for the title explanation, I was trying to figure it out!

eb said...

As a former heterosexual who has done the full on wedding thing, I think you should cut your friend some slack.

The thing is, the vows and the ceremony are the only things you actually have some control over. That means you can kinda put them off while you take care of the other stuff which is FUCKING INSANITY!!!! Seriously, you are in the hands of a bunch of other people and you're trying to figure out this big party and coordinate all the shit that is involved.

Believe me, the vows are the easy part. I agree that the ceremony is the most important thing, but you don't have to worry whether the ceremony will show up or not because YOU are the ceremony. But you still have to worry whether the cake will show up.

The Surprise Dyke said...

Taylor-That's how I was feeling, that there could be some major disagreements that may need to be worked out sooner rather than later

The Surprise Dyke said...

Crystal-Girlfriend has already stated that we are NOT under any circumstances blowing our savings when it's legal. At first I was debating against her, after experiencing this with my friend, I'm totally on board with her plan

The Surprise Dyke said...

Eb-I respect your view and see where you're coming from. Tonight I had to talk her down from an emotional cliff when unexpected decisions/money came up...

The Surprise Dyke said...

Parish-Thank you. Check back often, I try really hard to update frequently :-)