Monday, May 25, 2009

Double entendre of abbreviations

School has become my life (which we have already established in a previous post) with only 14 more days left. I have finally finished all of my assessments and am working on their report cards and updating their cumulative records. Girlfriend was reading over one of the many checklists-specifically the cumulative record checklist when all of a sudden she busts out laughing...I mean uncontrollably laughing. I was lost. There was nothing funny about the list, it just list the order for each folder: school picture, immunization records, report cards, vision test, etc. So naturally the conversation went something like this:

Girlfriend: (still laughing) Have you read this?
Me: Um, yeah...
Girlfriend: Really? You read this and didn't laugh?
Me: Um....no, I didn't laugh. Is there a major typo or something?
Girlfriend: Yeah, or something. Read it again.

I began to read it again in my head and she stopped me, insisting I read it out loud.

Me: Staff, please double check the cumulative before going on. Mistakes make a mess for everyone, refer to the instructions attached if you are not sure about the cumulative process. There. What is so f*cking funny? (as girlfriend is dying laughing)
Girlfriend: Baby, that is NOT what it says!!! This is what it actually states, listen carefully. Staff, please double check the cum before going on. Mistakes make a mess for everyone, refer to the instructions attached if you are not sure about the cum process.
Me: You are ridiculous, you know that in the school world c-u-m is short for cumulative right, and it's pronounced with a long u sound...
Girlfriend: I don't care, it's funnier this way.

7 comments:

Propane Amy said...

I'm gonna have to go with Girlfriend on this one. Call me immature or whatever, but I giggled like I was in 8th grade health class going over sexual reproduction....

Rebecca said...

Yes, it was funnier that way!
OMG!

Carolyn said...

haha this made me laugh out loud.

The Surprise Dyke said...

Propane Amy-I'm joining team Girlfriend too :-)

The Surprise Dyke said...

Rebecca-I agree!

The Surprise Dyke said...

Carolyn-I do what I can :-)

lesbo said...

ha. Love it!