Monday, December 22, 2008

Sure, if that makes you happy

Disclaimer: angry lesbian rant below.

So I love the holidays.  I do.  I love all things Christmas-from the music, to the decorations, to people being nice to complete strangers, I love it all.  Except...............for them.
Look, I'm sorry if you think they're awesome (no, I take that back, I'm not sorry but it's the holiday obligation to not directly be an ass) but I don't.  I abhor their slogan "doing the most good." because it's deceitful.  Do they do a lot of good?  Do they enlist people in the community to help?  Do they reach out and help those in need?  Do they have volunteers gain a sense of looking beyond themselves at the holidays? Absolutely...as long as you're straight.
I have always volunteered in my community.  It's never not been an option (yes, double negative used purposely and correctly) in our home.  Both of my parents are/were volunteer paramedics, my dad and grandpa volunteer fire fighters and I can remember often buying extra things at the grocery store to drop off at the food bank.  It's just how I was raised and now who I am.  It's not a choice, it's an obligation to serve in the community.
Now, I'm not mad at the institution of the Salvation Army for being "selective" at who they allow to help...but damn it, own up to it.  They are a private organization who have their own set of beliefs and codes of conduct, blah blah blah.  Whatever.  What irritates me is how they are super secretive and super misleading as to who they will help and who is allowed to volunteer.  You can volunteer if you are gay...as long as you deny it.  I'm sorry, but that's not doing the most good.  So to the Salvation Army who claims they do the most good-sure, if that makes you happy go ahead and say it-but own up to your exclusionary ways as well.

The Salvation Army, doing the most good....as long as you're straight.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

wow! i didn't know that! that is gay!

The Surprise Dyke said...

Sabre--yeah, but not in the good way

sheA said...

JersaYYyyyyYYy- I am totally down with you on this one- get real with the exclusionary tactics people!

The Surprise Dyke said...

Shea--that's why you are my people! :-)

Erin said...

I always knew there was something about those Salvation Army folks that bothered me. Now I know why. Thanks for the insight!

The Surprise Dyke said...

Carolyn--I do what I can :-)